James A Swanson is an Associate Professor of Structural Engineering with the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering of the University of Cincinnati in Cincinnati, OH. Dr. Swanson's primary research interests are the behavior of steel framed structures with a focus on the behavior of beam-to-column connections, including partially restrained (PR) connections, modeling of frames with PR connections, and the behavior of bolted connections in general. He is also interested in issues related to steel bridge structures including superstructure design, innovative materials, fast-track construction methods, innovative deck-systems, health monitoring, and condition assessment. His teaching focus is on the design of steel buildings and bridges, structural mechanics, and structural analysis. He is a member of the American Institute of Steel Construction Task Committee on Connections, the American Institute of Steel Construction Connection Prequalification Review Panel, the Research Council on Structural Connections, and the American Society of Civil Engineers Technical Committee on Structural Connections. He has published approximately 60 papers in archival journals and conference proceedings. Finally, Dr. Swanson has been honored with several awards for teaching and advising at the University of Cincinnati.
- Kangas, S., Helmicki, A. J., Hunt, V. J., Sexton, R., Swanson, J. A., "Cable-Stayed Bridges: A Case Study for Vibration-Based Cable Tension Estimation," Submitted to the Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, June 2009
- Bennet, C. R., Swanson, J. A., Linzell, D. G., "Fatigue Resistance of HPS-485W (70W) Welded Butt- Splice Connections Using Narrow Gap Improved Electroslag Welding," Technical Note, Journal of Bridge Engineering, ASCE, Nov/Dec 2009, Vol. 12, No. 5, Pgs 529-536
- Wang, X., Swanson, J. A., Helmicki, A. J., and Hunt, V. J., "Development of Static Response Based Objective Functions for Finite Element Modeling of Bridges," Journal of Bridge Engineering, ASCE, Sep/Oct 2007, Vol. 14, No. 6, Pgs 544-551
- Wang, X., Swanson, J. A., Helmicki, A. J., and Hunt, V. J., "Development of Dynamic Response Based Objective Functions for Finite Element Modeling of Bridges," Journal of Bridge Engineering, ASCE, Sep/Oct 2007, Vol. 12, No. 5, Pgs 552-559
- Bennett, C. R., Swanson, J. A., and Linzell, D. G., "Fatigue Characteristics of HPS-485W (70W) Continuous Plate with Punched Holes," Journal of Bridge Engineering, ASCE, Jan./Feb. 2007, Vol. 12, No. 1, Pgs. 98-104
- Kayser/Bennett, C. R., Swanson, J. A., and Linzell, D. G., "Characterization of the Material Properties of HPS-485W (70W) TMCP for Bridge Girder Applications," Journal of Bridge Engineering, ASCE, Jan., 2006, Vol. 11, No. 1, Pgs 99-108
- Salem, O, Basu, B., Miller, R., Randall, J., Swanson, J. and Engel, R., Accelerating the Construction of a Highway Bridge in Ohio, Practice Periodical on Structural Design and Construction, ASCE, Vol. 11, No. 2, May 2006, pp. 98-104.