BORN: in Rome on 27 December 1958.
EDUCATION: PhD in Earth Sciences, University of Rome (1987).
- Head of Active Tectonics and Paleoseismology Unit at ING-INGV, Rome (1995-2002)
- Member of Scientific Advisory Committee, Inst. for Research on Seismic Risk of Italy's CNR (1996-2000)
- Member of Italy's "Group of Experts for Updating the National Seismic Code" (1996-1997)
- Member of the ING Board of Directors (1997-2000) Member of the Scientific Advisory Committee of INGV, Rome (2001-2006)
- Member of Civil Defense panel for prompt response to natural emergencies on the Italian territory Member of the Working Group for the preparation of Italy's new national seismic hazard map (2003-2004)
- Coordinator of the "Ufficio Relazioni Scientifiche Interne" of INGV (2005-)
- Secretary of the board of coordinators of a set of projects for seismic hazard assessment and risk mitigation launched in the framework of the 2004-2006 INGV-National Civil Defense agreement (2005-2007)
- Co-cordinator of the project "Assessment of the seismogenic potential and probability of large earthquakes in Italy" in the framework of the 2004-2006 INGV-National Civil Defense agreement (2005-2007)
- DISS Working Group (2007). Database of Individual Seismogenic Sources (DISS), Version 3.0.4: A compilation of potential sources for earthquakes larger than M 5.5 in Italy and surrounding areas. http://www.ingv.it/DISS, INGV 2007.
- Fracassi, U., and G. Valensise (2007). Unveiling the sources of the catastrophic 1456 multiple earthquake: hints to an unexplored tectonic mechanism in southern Italy, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am. 97 (3), 725-748.
- Meletti, C., F. Galadini, G. Valensise, M. Stucchi, R. Basili, S. Barba, G. Vannucci and E. Boschi (2008). A seismic source zone model for the seismic hazard assessment of the Italian territory, Tectonophysics, 447,doi: 10.1016/j.tecto.2008.01.003.
- Basili, R., G. Valensise, P. Vannoli, P. Burrato, U. Fracassi, S. Mariano, M. M. Tiberti and E. Boschi (2008). The Database of Individual Seismogenic Sources (DISS), version 3: summarizing 20 years of research on Italy's earthquake geology, Tectonophysics, 447, doi:10.1016/j.tecto.2007.04.014.
- Burrato, P., and G. Valensise (2008). Rise and fall of a hypothesized seismic gap: source complexity in the Mw7.0 16 December 1857 Southern Italy earthquake, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am., 98(1), 139-148, doi: 10.1785/0120070094