Ellen Rathje is the J. Neils Thompson Associate Professor at the University of Texas at Austin. Her research focuses on geotechnical earthquake engineering and engineering seismology. Specifically, her research work encompasses the seismic performance of earth structures and slopes, strong ground motion and site response, the application of probabilistic methods to geotechnical earthquake engineering, field liquefaction evaluation and soil improvement, and the application of remote sensing to earthquake damage assessment. Dr. Rathje has also been involved in post-earthquake investigations for the 1999 Kocaeli earthquake in Turkey, the 2001 Bhuj earthquake in India, and the 2004 Niigata-ken Chuetsu earthquake in Japan. Dr. Rathje is currently a member of the Scientific Earthquake Studies Advisory Committee for the U.S. Geological Survey and serves as an editorial board member for Earthquake Spectra and the Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering. Her awards include the 2002 Arthur Casagrande Award from the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), the 2005 Young Member Award from the International Society for Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, and the 2006 Shah Innovation Award from the Earthquake Engineering Research Institute (EERI). Further information can be found here.
- Rathje, E.M., Kayen, R., and Woo, K.-S. 2006. "Remote Sensing Observations of Landslides and Ground Deformation from the 2004 Niigata Ken Chuetsu Earthquake," Soils and Foundations, Japanese Geotechnical Society, 46(6), pp. 831-842.
- Rathje, E.M., Stewart, J.P., Baturay, M.B., Bray, J.D., and Bardet, J.P. 2006. "Strong Ground Motions and Damage Patterns from the 1999 Duzce Earthquake in Turkey," Journal of Earthquake Engineering, 10(5), pp. 693-724.
- Rathje, E.M., and Ozbey, M.C. 2006. "Site Specific Validation of Random Vibration Theory-Based Site Response Analysis," Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE, 132(7), pp. 911-922.
- Rathje, E.M., Crawford, M., Woo, K., and Neuenschwander, A. 2005. "Damage Patterns from Satellite Images from the 2003 Bam, Iran Earthquake," Earthquake Spectra, Earthquake Engineering Research Institute, 21(S1), pp. S295-307.
- Rathje, E.M., Faraj, F., Russell, S., and Bray, J.D. 2004. "Empirical Relationships for Frequency Content Parameters of Earthquake Ground Motions," Earthquake Spectra, Earthquake Engineering Research Institute, 20(1), pp. 119-144.