Rui Pinho is Assistant Professor of Structural Design in the Department of Structural Mechanics at the University of Pavia, Italy, to where he moved in 2001, after having spent several years at Imperial College London, first as a postgraduate researcher and then as a Lecturer of Earthquake Engineering. Dr Pinho is currently Head of the Seismic Risk Section of EUCENTRE and Deputy Coordinator of the LESSLOSS 46-partner European research network and of the international Erasmus Mundus Masters course in Earthquake Engineering and Engineering Seismology (MEEES). He is author and co-author of over 100 publications, guest speaker at a large number of conferences, workshops and short courses, and is also the recipient of a number of awards, including the 2007 EERI Shah's Prize for Innovation. Dr Pinho serves equally as peer reviewer and/or editorial board member for a large number of international journals and publishing houses, and has also been involved in a number of consultancy projects involving seismic assessment and retrofitting of existing structures. His main research interests are (i) evaluation of earthquake risk at urban or regional scale, (ii) seismic vulnerability assessment and mitigation for reinforced concrete structures, (iii) development of advanced analytical tools for analysis of structures subjected to seismic action, (iv) validation of innovative earthquake-resistant design/assessment approaches.
SOME RECENT PUBLICATIONS:
- Pinho R. (2007) "Seismic assessment of buildings and bridges using nonlinear static procedures," Proceedings of the Sixteenth National Congress of Civil Engineering of Peru, Keynote Lecture, Arequipa, Peru.
- Pinho R. (2007) "Displacement-based adaptive pushover," Proceedings of the Twelfth Italian Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Pisa, Italy, Paper no. 184.
- Pinho R., Casarotti C. and Antoniou S. (2007) "A comparison of single-run pushover analysis techniques for seismic assessment of bridges," Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, Vol. 36, No. 10, pp. 1347-1362.
- Ceresa P., Petrini L. and Pinho R. (2007) "Flexure-shear fibre beam-column elements for modelling frame structures under seismic loading - state of the art," Journal of Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 11, Special Issue 1, pp. 46-88.
- Casarotti C. and Pinho R. (2007) "An Adaptive capacity spectrum method for assessment of bridges subjected to earthquake action," Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 5, No. 4.
- Grant D.N., Bommer J.J., Pinho R., Calvi G.M., Goretti A. and Meroni F. (2007) "A prioritization scheme for seismic intervention in school buildings in Italy," Earthquake Spectra, Vol. 23, No. 2, pp. 291-314.