Reginald DesRoches is a Professor and Associate Chair of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the Georgia Institute of Technology. His primary research interests are seismic design, analysis, and retrofit of bridges, and application of smart materials in earthquake engineering. He has published over 180 articles in the general area of structural and earthquake engineering and has delivered over 100 presentations in 27 different countries.
Professor DesRoches is Chair of the ASCE (American Society of Civil Engineers) Seismic Effects Committee, Chair of the executive committee of the Technical Council on Lifeline Earthquake Engineering (TCLEE), Vice-Chair, IABSE Working Group of Earthquake Resistant Bridge Structures, a member of the executive committee of the National Academy of Sciences Disasters Roundtable, and is on the Board for the Earthquake Engineering Research Institute (EERI).
Dr. DesRoches has received numerous awards, including the Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE) in 2002. The PECASE award is the highest honor bestowed upon scientists and engineers in the early stages of their careers. Most recently, he was a recipient of the 2007 ASCE Walter L. Huber Civil Engineering Research Prize, the Georgia Tech Outstanding Doctoral Thesis Advisor Award (2010), and the Georgia Tech ANAK Award (2008) for outstanding contributions in teaching, research, and service.
- Padgett, J. E., DesRoches, R., and Ehlinger, R. (2009). “Experimental Response Modification Four-SpanBridgeRetrofit with Smart Materials,” Journal of Structural Control and Health Monitoring, DOI: 10.1002/stc.351, September, 2009.
- Padgett, J. E. and DesRoches, R. (2009). “Retrofitted Bridge Fragility Analysis for Typical Classes of Multi-Span Bridges,” Earthquake Spectra, Vol. 29, No. 1, pp. 117-141, February, 2009.
- Eroz, M., and DesRoches, R. (2008). “Bridge Seismic Response as a Function of FPS Modeling Assunptions,” Engineering Structures, Vol. 30, No. 11, pp. 3204-3212, November, 2008.
- Hite, M., DesRoches, R., and Leon, R. T. (2008). “Full-Scale Test of Bridge Steel Pedestals,” ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 483-491, September-October, 2008.
- Padgett, J. E., DesRoches, R. (2008) “Methodology for the Development of Fragility Curves for Retrofitted Bridges,” Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, Vol. 37, No. 8, pp. 1157-1174, July, 2008.