Julian Bommer is Professor of Earthquake Risk Assessment at Imperial College. The principal focus of his research is the characterization and prediction of strong ground-motion parameters for seismic design and for earthquake loss assessment. He is a member of Project Team 1 for the definition of seismic sctions in Eurocode 8. He has participated in several field investigations of the effects of damaging earthquakes around the world and has worked extensively on seismic hazard and risk in Central America. From 2000-2002 he was Chairman of SECED, the UK member of the European and International Associations for Earthquake Engineering. Dr Bommer also serves as a consultant on earthquake hazard issues to several UK engineering and reinsurance companies on projects worldwide. Further information can be found here.
Authored and co-authored more than 100 publications in scientific journals, international conferences, book chapters and technical reports. Selected recent journal publications include:
- Bommer, J.J., G. Georgallides & I.J. Tromans (2001). Is there a near-field for small-to-moderate magnitude earthquakes? Journal of Earthquake Engineering 5(3), 395-423.
- Bommer, J.J. & C. Ruggeri (2002). The specification of acceleration time-histories in seismic design codes. European Earthquake Engineering 16(1), 3-17.
- Bommer, J.J. & C.E. Rodríguez (2002). Earthquake-induced landslides in Central America. Engineering Geology 63(3/4), 189-220.
- Murphy, W., D.N. Petley, J.J. Bommer & J.M. Mankelow (2002). Uncertainty in ground motion estimates of slope stability during earthquakes. Symposium in Print on Landslides, Quarterly Journal of Engineering Geology and Hydrogeology 35(1), 71-78.
- Bommer, J.J. (2002). Deterministic vs. probabilistic seismic hazard assessment: an exaggerated and obstructive dichotomy. Journal of Earthquake Engineering 6 (Special Issue 1), 43-73.
- Bommer, J., R. Spence, M. Erdik, S. Tabuchi, N. Aydinoglu, E. Booth, D. del Re & O. Peterken (2002). Development of an earthquake loss model for Turkish catastrophe insurance. Journal of Seismology 6(3), 431-446.
- Bommer, J., B. Benito, M. Ciudad-Real, A. Lemoine, M. Lopez-Menjivar, R. Madariaga, J. Mankelow, P. Mendez de Hasbun, W.
- Murphy, M. Lovo-Nieto, C. Rodríguez-Pineda & H. Rosa (2002). The El Salvador earthquakes of January and February 2001: Context, characteristics and implications for seismic risk. Soil Dynamics & Earthquake Engineering 22(5), 389-418.
- Rey, J., E. Faccioli & J. Bommer (2002). Derivation of design soil coefficient (S) and response spectral shapes for Eurocode 8 using the European Strong-Motion Database. Journal of Seismology 6(4), 547-555.
- Rolo, R., J. Bommer, B.F. Houghton, J.W. Vallance, P. Berdousis, C. Mavrommati & W. Murphy (2004). Geologic and engineering characterization of Tierra Blanca pyroclastic ash. In Natural Hazards in El Salvador, GSA Special Paper 375, Geological Society of America, 55-67.
- López, M., J. Bommer & R. Pinho (2004). Seismic hazard assessments, seismic design codes and earthquake engineering in El Salvador. In Natural Hazards in El Salvador, GSA Special Paper 375, Geological Society of America, 301-320.
- Bommer, J.J. & D.M. Boore (2004). Engineering Seismology. In: Encyclopedia of Geology, Academic Press (invited contribution)
- Bommer, J.J. (2003). Uncertainty about the uncertainty in seismic hazard analysis. Engineering Geology 70(1/2), 165-168.
- Restrepo-Vélez, L.F. & J.J. Bommer (2003). An exploration of the nature of the scatter in ground-motion prediction equations and the implications for seismic hazard assessment. Journal of Earthquake Engineering 7(special issue 1), 171-199.
- Spence, R., J. Bommer, D. del Re, J. Bird, N. Aydinoğlu & S. Tabuchi (2003). Comparing loss estimation with observed damage: a study of the 1999 Kocaeli earthquake in Turkey. Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering 1(1), 83-113.
- Bommer, J.J., J. Douglas & F.O. Strasser (2003). Style-of-faulting in ground motion prediction equations. Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering 1(2), 171-203.
- Bommer, J.J., N.A. Abrahamson, F.O. Strasser, A. Pecker, P-Y. Bard, H. Bungum, F. Cotton, D. Faeh, F. Sabetta, F. Scherbaum & J.
- Studer (2004). The challenge of defining the upper limits on earthquake ground motions. Seismological Research Letters 70(1), 82-95.
- Bommer, J.J., G. Maegenes, J. Hancock & P. Penazzo (2004). The influence of strong-motion duration on the seismic response of masonry structure. Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering 2(1), in press.
- Bommer, J.J. & A.B. Acevedo (2004). The use of real earthquake accelerograms as input to dynamic analysis. Journal of Earthquake Engineering 8 (Special Issue 1), in press