Date of Birth: 04/06/1978
- Scientific Coordinator, Global Earthquake Model (GEM)
- Assistant Coordinator, Masters in Earthquake Engineering and Engineering Seismoloy (MEEES)
- c/o EUCENTRE
- Via Ferrata 1
- Pavia, 27100, Italy
- Imperial College London, M.Eng. Civil Engineering (Upper Second Class, 2:1), June 2000
- ROSE School, University of Pavia, Italy M.Sc., Earthquake Engineering, June 2003
- ROSE School, University of Pavia, Italy, Ph.D. Earthquake Engineering, December 2005
- 2007-present Teaching Board, European Centre for Training and Research in Earthquake Engineering (EUCENTRE)
- 2007-2009, Researcher, European Centre for Training and Research in Earthquake Engineering (EUCENTRE)
- 2005-2007, Research Assistant, Centre for Post-graduate Training and Research in Earthquake Engineering and Seismology (ROSE School)
- Displacement-based assessment, vulnerability assessment of reinforced concrete buildings, structural characteristics of reinforced concrete
- buildings for risk and loss assessment, seismic risk assessment at regional and national scales, seismic hazard assessment, modelling of hazard and ground motion fields for loss assessment of urban areas
- Supervision and co-supervision of 18 MSc and 3 PhD students
HONORS/KEYNOTE AND GUEST LECTURES/STATE-OF-THE-ART PRESENTATIONS
- Recipient of the 2009 EGU Plinius Medal for outstanding contributions in the fields of earthquake risk assessment and seismic risk mitigation, and in the neighbouring fields of structural engineering and engineering seismology.
- Invited Lecture, Willis Research Network Global Clients’ Meeting, 9-10th July, 2008, “Event Scenario Analysis – The 1908 Messina Earthquake”
- Invited Lecture “Shaking Cities: Current issues in urban seismic hazard and risk,” A Workshop for the Under 35s reinsurance group, organised by the Benfield UCL Hazard Research Centre, 12th October, 2006.
OTHER RELEVANT ACTIVITIES IN LAST FEW YEARS
- Member of the Organising Committee of the 100th Anniversary Messina Earthquake Conference.
- Senior Academic of the Willis Research Network.
- Associate Editor for: Environmental Semeiotics.
- Technical reviewer for: ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, Earthquake Spectra, Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering, Journal of Earthquake Engineering, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, Engineering Geology, Engineering Structures, Journal of Seismology, Risk Analysis.
More than 50 publications (20 in peer-reviewed international journals), H-index of 7 (according to Google Scholar). Selected Recent Publications:
- Crowley, H., Pinho, R.  “Using Basic Principles of Mechanics of Materials to Assess the Seismic Risk of Entire Countries,” Environmental Semeiotics, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 1-19.
- Bal, I.E., Crowley, H. and Pinho, R.  “ Displacement-based earthquake loss assessment for an earthquake scenario in Istanbul,” Journal of Earthquake Engineering, Volume 12, Issue S2, pp. 12-22.
- Crowley, H., Bommer, J.J. and Stafford, P.  “Recent developments in the treatment of ground-motion variability in earthquake loss models,” Journal of Earthquake Engineering, Special Issue, Volume 12, Issue S2, pp. 71-80.
- Bal, I.E., Crowley, H., Pinho, R. and Gulay, F.G.  “Detailed assessment of structural characteristics of Turkish RC building stock for loss assessment models,” Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 28, pp. 914–932.
- Colombi, M., Borzi, B., Crowley, H., Onida, M., Meroni, F. and Pinho, R.  “Deriving vulnerability curves with Italian earthquake damage data,” Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 485-504.
- Crowley, H., Borzi, B., Pinho, R., Colombi, M. and Onida, M.  “Comparison of two mechanics-based methods for simplified structural analysis in vulnerability assessment,” Advances in Civil Engineering, Volume 2008, Article ID 438379, 19 pages.
- Crowley, H., Stafford, P.J. and Bommer, J.J.  “Can earthquake loss models be validated using field observations?” Journal of Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 12, Issue 7, pp 1078-1104.
- Borzi, B., Crowley, H. and Pinho, R.  “Simplified pushover-based earthquake loss assessment (SP-BELA) method for masonry buildings,” International Journal of Architectural Heritage, Vol. 2, No. 4, pp. 353-376.
- Crowley, H., Colombi, M., Borzi, B., Faravelli, M., Onida, M., Lopez, M., Polli, D., Meroni, F., Pinho, R.  “Comparison of seismic risk maps for Italy,” Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering, Volume 7, No. 1, pp. 149-18