Date of Birth: 04/07/1969
- Full Professor, PhD
- K6 Building – Office No. 104
- Department of Civil Engineering, Middle East Technical University, 06800 Ankara Turkey
- Tel: + 90-312-210-5404
- Fax: + 90-312-210-5401
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Middle East Technical University, BS in Civil Engineering, 1992
- Middle East Technical University, MSc in Civil Engineering, 1995
- Middle East Technical University, PhD in Civil Engineering, 2001
- 2001-2002, Research Associate, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Stanford University, USA
- 2002-2003, Instructor, Department of Civil Engineering, Middle East Technical University, Turkey
- 2003-2006, Assistant Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, Middle East Technical University, Turkey
- 2006-2011, Associate Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, Middle East Technical University, Turkey
- 2011-present, Full Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, Middle East Technical University, Turkey
- 2008-present, faculty member at the Rose School, University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy
HONORS/KEYNOTE AND GUEST LECTURES/STATE-OF-THE-ART PRESENTATIONS
- Keynote Lecturer in the 1st Euro-Mediterranean Accelerometric Data Exchange and Archiving Workshop, March 2008, Grenoble, France
- Lecturer at the Rose School, University of Pavia, October 2008, Pavia, Italy
- “Prof. Dr. Mustafa N. Parlar Research Incentive Award” granted by Prof. Dr. Mustafa N. Parlar Education and Research Foundation, 2007
Co-author of 33 journal papers covered by SCI Core/Expanded, 41 papers published in the international proceedings, 8 papers/chapters in the scientific books published by international publishers (e.g., Springer and Kluwer).
H-factor=27 (ISI Web of Knowledge).
Selected Recent Publications:
- Kale, Ö. and Akkar, S., 2013. A new procedure for selecting and ranking ground-motion prediction equations (GMPEs): the Euclidean-Distance Based Ranking (EDR) method, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, 103(2A), 1069-1084.
- Sandıkkaya, M.A., Akkar, S. and Bard, P.Y., 2013. A nonlinear site amplification model for the next Pan-European ground-motion prediction equations, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, 103(1), 19-32.
- Ay, B.Ö. and Akkar, S., 2012. A procedure on ground motion selection and scaling for nonlinear response of simple structural systems, Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, 41(12), 1693-1707.
- Yakut, A., Sucuoğlu, H. and Akkar, S., 2012. Seismic risk prioritization of residential buildings in Istanbul, Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, 41(11), 1533-1547.
- Delavaud, E., Cotton, F., Akkar, S., Scherbaum, F., Danciu, L., Beauval, C., Drouet, S., Douglas, J., Basili, R., Sandikkaya, M.A., Segou, M., Faccioli, E. and Theodoulidis, N., 2012. Toward a ground-motion logic tree for probabilistic seismic hazard assessment in Europe, Journal of Seismology, 16(3), 451-473.
- Boore, D.M., Azari Sisi, A. and Akkar, S., 2012. Using Pad-Stripped Acausally Filtered Strong-Motion Data, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, 102(2), 751-760.
- Bommer, J.J., Akkar, S. and Drouet, S., 2012. Extending ground-motion prediction equations for spectral accelerations to higher response frequencies, Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering, 10, 379-399.
OTHER RELEVANT ACTIVITIES IN LAST FEW YEARS
- Project Member in the “ATC-55, Evaluation and Improvement of Inelastic Seismic Analysis Procedures Phase II” under the direction of Applied Technology Council (ATC), 2002.
- Principal Investigator in the “National Strong Ground Motion Project.” Funded by the Scientific Research and Technical Council of Turkey for 2005 - 2009 (3,500,000 USD for 4 years).
- NATO Project Director in the “Harmonization of the Seismic Hazard Maps for the Western Balkan Countries.” Funded by the NATO Science for Peace Programme for 2007 - 2010 (638,000 Euro for 3 years)
- Ground-motion predictive models for Europe (Task 2) team member in the “Seismic Harmonization in Europe (SHARE).” Funded by the European Community FP7 for 2009 - 2011 (3,700,000 Euro for 3 years).
- Approval Authority in the Istanbul Seismic Risk Mitigation and Emergency Preparedness Project (ISMEP), 2008.
- Served as reviewer and responsible editor for Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, Journal of Structural Engineering – ASCE, Journal of Earthquake Engineering, Earthquake Spectra, Journal of Seismology, Bulletin of the European Earthquake Engineerin