Ahmed Elgamal Chaired the Department of Structural Engineering from 2003 to 2007. In 1984, he received his Ph.D. from Princeton University. He joined UCSD in 1997 as Professor after a Post-doctoral appointment at the California Institute of Technology (CalTech, Pasadena, CA, 1985-86), and Faculty positions at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (New York, Asst and Assoc Prof, 1986-1996) and Columbia University (New York, Assoc Prof, 1996-1997). He served (2006-2007) as Principal Investigator of the US National Science Foundation George E. Brown Network for Earthquake Engineering Simulation (NEES, http://nees.org) Information Technology project, and as the Geotechnical Thrust Area Leader (2001-2007) of the University of California at Berkeley, Pacific Earthquake Engineering Research Center (PEER, http://peer.berkeley.edu/).
His areas of research interest include large-scale Geomechanics soil-structure experimental and computational simulation (http://cyclic.ucsd.edu, http://cyclic.ucsd.edu/openseespl), Sustainability in Geomechanics, Information Technology (IT) applications in Civil Engineering and Geomechanics, and interpretation of recorded Geo-systems response through system-identification and data mining procedures. Incorporation of IT into geotechnical and structural engineering is currently among his main research areas, with emphasis on Health Monitoring and Earthquake Engineering applications. Internet applications include sensor networks for monitoring the civil infrastructure, with real-time condition assessment and decision-making algorithms. Integration of research and education with live web-accessible experiments is also of interest (http://webshaker.ucsd.edu). He is author and co-author of over 250 Technical Publications, and currently serves as Editor-in-Chief of the Journal Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering. Over the years, has consulted and provided professional services in the general areas of Geomechanics and Geotechnical Engineering for a number of national and international organizations.
REPRESENTATIVE PUBLICATIONS (Recent)
- Zhang, Yuyi, Conte, J. P., Yang, Z., Elgamal, A., Bielak, J., and Acero, G., “Two-Dimensional Nonlinear Earthquake Response Analysis of a Bridge-Foundation-Ground System,” Earthquake Spectra, Volume 24, No. 2, pages 343–386, May 2008.
- Yang, Z., and Ahmed Elgamal, “Multi-surface Cyclic Plasticity Sand Model with Lode Angle Effect,” Journal of Geotechnical and Geological Engineering, Vol. 26, No. 3, 3350348, Springer, Netherlands, June 2008.
- Elgamal, A., L. Yan, Z. Yang and J. P. Conte, “Three-Dimensional Seismic response of Bridge Foundation-Ground System,” Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 134, No. 7, 1165-1176, July, 2008.
- He, X., Babak Moaveni, Joel P. Conte, Ahmed Elgamal, and Sami F. Masri, “Modal Identification Study of Vincent Thomas Bridge Using Simulated Wind-Induced Ambient Vibration Data,” Computer-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering, 23 (5), 373–388, 2008.
- Yan, L., M. Fraser, A. Elgamal, T. Fountain and K. Oliver, “Neural Networks and Principal Components Analysis for Strain-Based Vehicle Classification,” Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 123-132, 2008.
- Wilson, P., and Ahmed Elgamal, “Full-Scale Shake-Table Investigation of Bridge Abutment Lateral Earth Pressure,” Bull. New Zealand Society Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 42, No. 1, 39-46, March, 2009.
- Thevanayagam, S., Kanagalingam, T., Reinhorn, A., Tharmendhira, R., Dobry, R., Pitman, M., Abdoun, T., Elgamal, A., Zeghal, M., Ecemis, N., and El Shamy, U., “Laminar box system for 1-g physical modeling of liquefaction and lateral spreading,” Geotechnical Testing Journal, Vol. 32, No. 5, Paper ID GTJ102154, 2009.
- Prowell, I., Veletzos, Marc, Elgamal, Ahmed, and Restrepo, Jose, “Experimental and Numerical Seismic Response of a 65 kW Wind Turbine,” J. of Earthquake Engng, 13:1172–1190, 2009.
- Elgamal, A., Lu, Jinchi, and Forcellini, Davide, “Mitigation of Liquefaction-Induced Lateral Deformation in a Sloping Stratum: Three-dimensional Numerical Simulation,” Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE, 135, 11, November, 1672-1682, 2009.
- He, Liangcai, Elgamal, Ahmed, Abdoun, Tarek, Abe, Akio, Dobry, Ricardo, Hamada, Masanori, Meneses, Jorge, Sato, Masayoshi, Shantz, Thomas, and Tokimatsu, Kohji, “Liquefaction-Induced Lateral Load on Pile in A Medium Dr Sand Layer,” Journal of Earthquake Engineering, 13, 7, 916–938, 2009.
- Gu, Q., Conte, J. P., Elgamal, A., and Yang, Z., “Finite element response sensitivity analysis of multi-yield-surface J2 plasticity model by direct differentiation method.” Comp. Meth. Appl. Mech. Eng., 198 30–32, 2272–2285, 2009.
- Thevanayagam, S., Kanagalingam, T., Reinhorn, A., Thamendhira, R., Dobry, R., Pitman, M., Abdoun, T., Elgamal, Zeghal, M., Ecemis, N. and El Shamy, U., “Laminar Box System for 1-g physical modeling of liquefaction and lateral spreading,” Geotechnical Testing Journal, ASTM, Paper ID GTJ102154, Vo. 32, No. 5, 1-12, 2009.
- Fraser, M., Elgamal, A., He, X., and Conte, J. P., Sensor Network for Structural Heath Monitoring of a Highway Bridge, J of Computing in Civil Engng, ASCE, 24, 1, 11-24, Jan 2010.
- El Shamy, U., Zeghal, M., Dobry, R., Thevanayagam, S., Elgamal, A., Abdoun, T., Medina, C., Bethapudi, R., and Bennett, V., Micromechanical Aspects of Liquefaction-Induced Lateral Spreading, International Journal of Geomechanics, ASCE, Vol. 10, No. 5, 190-201, 2010.
- Chen, C.-K., Chris Ho, Carlos Correa, Kwan-Liu Ma, and Ahmed Elgamal, Visualizing Three-Dimensional Earthquake Simulation Data, Computing in Science and Engineering Journal, IEEE Computer Society and American Institute of Physics, September 2010, Vol. PP, Issue 99.
- Wilson, P. and Ahmed Elgamal, “Large-Scale Passive Earth Pressure Load-Displacement Tests and Numerical Simulation,” Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE, 136, 12, 1634-1643, December, 2010.
- Dobry, R., S. Thevanayagam, C. Medina, R. Bethapudi, A. Elgamal, V. Bennett, T. Abdoun, M. Zeghal, U. El Shamy, and V. M. Mercado, Mechanics of Lateral Spreading Observed in a Full-Scale Shake Test, J of Geotechnical and Geoenviron Engng, ASCE, 137, 2, 115-129, Feb, 2011.
- Gu, Q., Joel Conte, Zhaohui Yang and Ahmed Elgamal, “Consistent Tangent Moduli for Multi-Yield-Surface J2 Plasticity Model,” J. Computational Mechanics, DOI 10.1007/s00466-011-0576-7, Springer, March, 2011.
- Shoele, K., Prowell, I., Zhu, Q., and Elgamal, A. “Dynamic and Structural Modeling of a Floating Wind Turbine.” International Journal of Offshore and Polar Engineering, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 155–160, June, 2011.
- Guo, L., Uang, C.-M., Elgamal, A., Prowell, I., and Zhang, S., Pushover Analysis of a 53 m High Wind Turbine Tower, Advanced Science Letters, Vol. 4, 656–662, 2011.
- Lu. J., Elgamal, A., Yan, L., Law, K. and Conte, J.P., Large Scale Numerical Modeling in Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering, Intl J of Geomechanics, ASCE, 11, 6, Dec, 490-503, 2011.
- Yan, L., Ahmed Elgamal, Garrison W. Cottrell, “A Sub-structure Vibration NARX Neural Network Approach for Statistical Damage Inference,” Journal of Engineering Mechanics, ASCE, accepted for publication, 2011 (to appear).