Date of Birth: May 14, 1944
Professor of Civil Engineering
06830 Ankara, TR
+90 312 233 1403; +90 533 430 9230
- Ankara; B.S. in C.E., 1966
- Urbana-Champaign (IL); M.S. in C.E., 1968
- Urbana-Champaign (IL); Ph.D., 1971
Various academic positions from 1971 at METU; professor from 1982. Other academic positions held in Turkey (Hacettepe University, Ankara, as professor of nuclear engineering) and abroad (University of California, Berkeley as visiting research associate; Purdue University as visiting professor in civil engineering; Basler & Hofmann, Zürich as senior consultant) .
HONORS/KEYNOTE AND GUEST LECTURES/STATE-OF-THE-ART PRESENTATIONS
- 2004 NATO Summit Research Prize
- 2007 TÜBİTAK (National Science Authority in Turkey) Science award
- Keynote speaker in nine conferences from 2002
From Scopus: 55 publications with h factor = 6. Selected Recent Publications:
- P. Gülkan and John G. Anderson (Eds.) (2005): Directions in Strong Motion Instrumentation, Springer, NATO Science Series IV: Earth and Environmental Series, Vol. 58.
- Akkar, S., and P. Gülkan (2002): “A Critical Examination of Near-Field Accelerograms from the Sea of Marmara Region Earthquakes,” Bulletin of Seismological Society of America, 92(1), pp. 428-447, February.
- P. Gülkan, and S. Akkar (2002): “A Simple Replacement for the Drift Spectrum,” Engineering Structures, 24 (2002), pp. 1477-1484.
- P. Gülkan and E. Kalkan (2002): “Attenuation Modeling of Recent Earthquakes in Turkey,” Journal of Seismology, 6: 397-409.
- E. Kalkan and P. Gülkan (2004): “Site-Dependent Spectra Derived from Ground Motion Records in Turkey,” EERI Earthquake Spectra, 20(4): 1111-1138, November.
- Kazaz, İ, A. Yakut and P. Gülkan (2006): “Numerical Simulation of Dynamic Shear Wall Tests: a Benchmark Study,” Computers and Structures, 84(8):549-562.
- Kazaz, İ., A. Yakut and P. Gülkan (2006): “Seismic Response Assessment of a Stiff Structure,” Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, 35:757-759.
- Kalkan, E., P. Gülkan, N.Y. Öztürk and M. Çelebi (2008): “Seismic Hazard in the İstanbul Metropolitan Area: A Preliminary Re-Evaluation,” Journal of Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 12, No. S2, pp. 151-164.
OTHER RELEVANT ACTIVITIES DURING LAST FEW YEARS
- Executive vice president, IAEE (International Association for Earthquake Engineering, 2004-2008)
- President elect, IAEE (to serve during 2010-2014)