Dr. Eduardo Kausel is Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering at MIT. Prof. Kausel earned his first professional degree in 1967 from the University of Chile. After working for two years at ENDESA (National Electricity Company of Chile), he obtained in 1969 a scholarship from the German government (DAAD), and carried out post-graduate studies at the Technical University in Darmstadt. In 1970, he moved to the United States, and earned a Master of Science (1972) and Doctor of Science (1974) degrees from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. While still a graduate student in 1973, he worked for Stone & Webster Engineering Corporation in Boston, and remained there in various capacities until 1978, at which time he joined the faculty at Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He is a registered Professional Engineer in the state of Massachusetts, is senior member of various professional organizations (ASCE, SSA, EERI, IACMG), and has extensive experience as consulting engineer. In 1989, he received a Japanese Government Research Award for Foreign Specialists from the Science and Technology Agency; he is one of only two MIT Honorary Faculty Members of Epsilon Chi; in 1994 he was named the Konrad Zuse Guest Professor at the University of Hamburg in Germany; in April 2000, he received the Alexander von Humboldt Prize from the German Government; and in September of 2000, he was given the Conspicuously Effective Teaching Award, MIT-CEE. Dr. Kausel is the author of more than hundred technical papers and reports in the areas of structural dynamics, earthquake engineering, and computational mechanics. Further information can be found here.
SELECTED RECENT PUBLICATIONS:
- E. Kausel  “Compendium of Fundamental Solutions in Elastodynamics”, Book draft accepted for publication by Cambridge University Press. To appear in the summer of 2005.
- E. Kausel, J. Park  “Impulse response of elastic half-space in the wavenumber-time domain”, Journal of Engineering Mechanics, ASCE, Vol. 130, No. 10, pp. 1211-1222.
- E. Kausel  “Accurate stresses in the Thin Layer Method”, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, Vol. 61, pp. 360-379.
- E. Kausel, D. Assimaki  “Seismic Simulation of Inelastic Soils via Frequency-dependent Moduli and Damping”, Journal of Engineering Mechanics, ASCE, Vol. 128, No. 1, pp. 34-47.
- E. Kausel  “Non-classical Modes of Unrestrained Shear beams”, Journal of Engineering Mechanics, ASCE, Vol. 128, No. 6, pp. 663-667.
E. Kausel, D. Assimaki, A. Whittle  “Model for Dynamic Shear Modulus and Damping for Granular Soils”, Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, Vol. 126, No. 10, pp. 859-869.