André Filiatrault, Eng., Ph.D., is a professor in the Department of Civil, Structural and Environmental Engineering at the State University of New York at Buffalo in Buffalo, NY. He received his master’s (1985) and Ph.D. (1988) degrees in civil engineering from the University of British Columbia after obtaining his bachelor’s degree in civil engineering from Université de Sherbrooke in 1983. After a two-year stint as an assistant professor at the University of British Columbia, he joined the Department of Civil Engineering at École Polytechnique, part of Université de Montréal, where he became a full professor in 1997. Professor Filiatrault joined the faculty at the University of California, San Diego in 1998, where he was a professor of structural engineering until 2003. From 2003 to 2007, he served as the Deputy Director of the Multidisciplinary Center for Earthquake Engineering Research (MCEER). Professor Filiatrault also served as the Director of MCEER from 2008 to 2011. His research over the last 25 years has focused on the seismic testing, analysis and design of civil engineering structures. The professional achievements resulting from his research and teaching activities include four textbooks, more than 250 peer-reviewed scientific publications, the 1990 Sir Casimir Stanislaus Gzowski Medal from the Canadian Society for Civil Engineering, the 2002 Moisseiff Award from the American Society of Civil Engineers and the 2008 Outstanding Researcher/Scholar Award from the Research Foundation of the State University of New York. Further information can be found here.
- Nicknam, A. and Filiatrault, A. 2013. “Direct Displacement-Based Seismic Design of Propped Rocking Walls,” Earthquake Spectra, (in press).
- Tian, Y., Filiatrault, A. and Mosqueda, G. 2013. “Experimental Seismic Fragility of Pressurized Fire Suppression Sprinkler Piping Joints,” Earthquake Spectra (in press).
- Koliou, M., Filiatrault, A., and Reinhorn, A.M. 2013. “Seismic Response of High Voltage Transformer Bushing Systems Incorporating Flexural Stiffeners I: Numerical Study,” Earthquake Spectra (in press).
- Koliou, M., Filiatrault, A., and Reinhorn, A.M. 2013. “Seismic Response of High Voltage Transformer Bushing Systems Incorporating Flexural Stiffeners II: Experimental Study,” Earthquake Spectra (in press).
- Retamales, R., Davies, R., Mosqueda, G. and Filiatrault, A. 2013. “Experimental Seismic Fragility of Cold-Formed Steel Framed Gypsum Partition Walls,” ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering. (in press).
- Apostolakis, G., Dargush, G. and Filiatrault, A. 2012. “Computational Framework for Automated Seismic Design of Self-Centering Connections in Steel Frames,” ASCE Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, doi: 10.1061/(ASCE)CP.1943-5487.0000226.
- Retamales, R., Mosqueda, G., Filiatrault, A. and Reinhorn, A. 2011. “Testing Protocol for Experimental Seismic Qualification of Distributed Nonstructural Systems,” Earthquake Spectra, Vol. 27, No. 3, 835-856.
- Sideris, P., Filiatrault, A., Leclerc, M. and Tremblay, R. 2010. “Experimental Investigation on the Seismic Behavior of Palletized Merchandise in Steel Storage Racks,” Earthquake Spectra, Vol. 26, No. 1, 209-233.
- Filiatrault, A., Christovasilis, I.P., Wanitkorkul, A. and Van de Lindt, J.W. 2010. “Experimental Seismic Response of a Full-Scale Light-Frame Wood Building,” ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 136, No. 3, 246-254.
- Van de Lindt, J.W., Pei, S., Liu, H. and Filiatrault, A. 2010. “Three-Dimensional Seismic Response of a Full-Scale Light-Frame Wood Building: A Numerical Study, ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 136, No. 1, 56-65.