Roberto T. Leon received his Ph.D. from the University of Texas at Austin in 1983. From 1983 to 1994 he was assistant and associate professor in the Department of Civil and Mineral Engineering at the University of Minnesota, and became professor in the School of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the Georgia Institute of Technology in 1995. He served as interim Chair of the School in 2002-2003. He currently chairs AISC TC5 Task Committee on Composite Design and is a member of the AISC Committee and the BSSC Provisions Update Committee. He is the outgoing chair of the Executive Committee of the Technical Activities Division of the Structural Engineering Institute (TAD/SEI) and immediate past President of the Consortium of Universities for Research in Earthquake Engineering (CUREE). He is a registered professional engineer in Minnesota, the co-author of a book on composite construction, a non-technical book on bridges and tunnels, and is the author and co-author of over 60 articles in refereed journals. Further information can be found here.
SOME RECENT PUBLICATIONS:
- Rassati, G.A. and Leon, R.T.  "Component Modeling of PR Composite Frames under Cyclic and Dynamic Loading: Numerical Modeling," International Journal of Steel Structures, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp. 131-140.
- Ocel, J., DesRoches, R., Leon, R.T., Hess, W.G., Krumme, R., Hayes, J.R. and Sweeney, S.  "Steel Beam-Column Connections Using Shape Memory Alloys," Journal of Structural Engineering, v. 130, n. 5, pp.732-740.
- Rassati, G.A., Leon, R.T., and Noe, S.  "Component Modeling of Partially Restrained Composite Joints under Cyclic and Dynamic Loading," Journal of Structural Engineering, v. 130, n. 2, pp. 343-351.
- Green, T. P., Leon, R.T. and Rassati, G.A.  "Bidirectional Tests on Partially Restrained, Composite Beam-Column Connections," Journal of Structural Engineering, v. 130, n. 2, pp 320-327.
- Linzell, D., Leon, R.T., and Zureick, A.  "Instrumentation and Validation for Full-Scale Bridge Testing," Experimental Techniques, v. 27, n. 3, p.29-33.