Overview of performance-based earthquake engineering consisting of discussion of performance levels; role of displacement-based design in performance-based earthquake engineering; review of the substitute structure method; concepts of equivalent viscous damping; design of SDOF systems such as bridge piers; design of MDOF systems such as multispan bridges, moment frames, and structural wall systems; comparison of displacement-based and force-based methods. The course will focus primarily on reinforced concrete structures, however, some specific details with regards to unbonded post-tensioned structures, masonry structures, and steel structures will be presented.
Displacement-based Design of R.C. Structures
- IUSS Pavia
- EE - Earthquake Engineering
- Spring 2004
- MERVYN J. KOWALSKY
- Date (from - to):
- 19/05/2004 – 18/06/2004
- Kowalsky, M.J. (2002). "A Performance-Based Approach for the Seismic Design of Concrete Bridges." Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, Vol. 29, No. 3 pp. 719-747, March.
- Kowalsky, M.J. (2001). "RC Structural Walls Designed According to UBC and Displacement-Based Methods." ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 127, No. 5 pp. 506-516, May.
- Priestley, M.J.N. and Kowalsky, M.J. (2000). "Direct Displacement-Based Seismic Design of Concrete Buildings." Bulletin of the New Zealand National Society for Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 33, No. 4 pp421-444, December.
- Kowalsky, M.J. (2000). "Deformation Limit States and Implications on Design of Circular RC Bridge Columns." ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 126, No. 8 pp. 869-878, August.