Fundamental aspects of soil behaviour under cyclic loading. Seismic loading. Commonly used models and more sophisticated elastoplastic constitutive models. Experimental tools for the measurements of the parameters. Wave propagation analyses. Direct application for the constitutive modelling of soils. Non linear soil behaviour. Liquefaction hazard. Fundamental aspects and various factors affecting the liquefaction resistance of soils. Methods of prediction and mitigation. Soil structure interaction analyses. Methods. Representation of impedance functions for shallow and pile foundations by frequency independent springs and dashpots. Simple rheological models: frequency dependence of the impedance functions in strongly heterogeneous soil profiles. Application to seismic analyses. Foundation design. Theoretical formulations for the seismic bearing capacity of shallow and pile foundations. Implementation of earthquake foundation design in seismic building codes (Eurocode 8).
Seismic Design of Foundation Systems
- IUSS Pavia
- EE - Earthquake Engineering
- Spring 2012
- ALAIN PECKER
- Date (from - to):
- 18/06/2012 – 13/07/2012
- Bowles: "Foundation analysis and design" (McGraw-Hill)
- Ishihara: Soil Behavior in Earthquake Geotechnics (Oxford Science Publication)
- Kramer: "Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering" (Prentice Hall)
- Pecker: "Dynamique des Sols" (Presses de l'Ecole Nationale des Ponts et Chaussées)
- Pecker, Pender: "Earthquake resistant design of foundations: new construction" State of the Art, GEO2000 conference, Melbourne November 2000.
- Terzaghi, Peck, Mesri: "Soil Mechanics in Engineering Practice" (Wiley & Sons)