Engineering Seismology and Seismic Hazard Assessment
- IUSS Pavia
- ES - Engineering Seismology
- Fall 2010
- APOSTOLOS S. PAPAGEORGIOU
- Date (from - to):
- 27/09/2010 – 22/10/2010
This is an introductory course on the fundamentals of engineering seismology, strong ground motion and seismic hazard assessment. The ultimate object is to provide a background for the assessment of design-basis ground motion both in frequency and time domain. This will be achieved with formal lectures themselves, tutorial sessions and the practical exercises. These teaching activities will be supported with power point presentations, textbook chapters and relevant papers and Internet web sites. This material should be sufficient to obtain a basic background on the subject and to pave the path for those seeking a deeper understanding or greater detail. The course will encompass the basic treatment of the physics of earthquakes and analysis of wave propagation. The time and frequency domain characteristics of the strong ground motion will be covered with enough detail to facilitate the understanding of ground motion prediction and the earthquake hazard assessment. The probabilistic and deterministic treatment of seismic hazard will be covered with supporting examples and exercises. The course will culminate with the elaboration of the subject on the determination of the design basis ground motion needed for the code-based and performance-based design of engineering structures.
- Bruce A. Bolt (1999), Earthquakes (Fourth Edition), Freeman, 1999.
- Aki, K. and P.G. Richards (1980), Quantitative Seismology: Theory and Methods, W.H. Freeman and Co., San Francisco, CA.
- Udias, A. (1999), Principles of Seismology, Cambridge University Press.
- Pujol, J. (2003), Elastic Wave Propagation and Generation in Seismology, Cambridge University Press.
- Stein, S. and M. Wysession (2003), An Introduction to Seismology, Earthquakes and Earth Structure, Blackwell Publishing.
Elastic Wave Propagation - Elastodynamics
- Achenbach, J.D. (1975), Wave Propagation in Elastic Solids, North-Holland / American Elsevier.
- Graff, K.F. (1975), Wave Motion in Elastic Solids, Ohio State University Press.
- Kausel, E. (2006), Fundamental Solutions in Elastodynamics: A Compendium, Cambridge University Press.
- Kramer, S.L.(1996), Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering, Prentice Hall.
- Chopra, A.K.(2007), Dynamics of Structures: Theory and Applications to Earthquake Engineering, Prentice Hall (Third Edition).