The course objectives are to introduce to the students the main concepts of Earthquake Source Mechanics and Elements of the Theory of Elastic Wave Propagation (Elastodynamics) and enable them to understand modern approaches to the problem of Earthquake Strong Ground Motion Prediction and Synthesis. Topics to be covered include: Earthquakes and Plate Tectonics; Seismometry; Seismic Waves – Overview; Seismic Source; Path and Site Effects – Overview; Prediction and Simulation of Strong Ground Motion; Seismic Hazard Analysis. The presentation of the topics is tailored to the needs of earthquake engineers.
Seismic Hazard Assessment
- IUSS Pavia
- ES - Engineering Seismology
- Fall 2011
- DARIO SLEJKO
- Date (from - to):
- 26/09/2011 – 21/10/2011
- Bolt, B. A. (1999) Earthquakes, 4th Edition, W.H. Freeman & Co.
- Kramer, S. L. (1996) Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering. Prentice‐Hall.
- Reiter, S. L. (1990) Earthquake Hazard Analysis: Issues and Insights. Columbia University Press.
- Any basic reference on Statistics, Probability, Wave Mechanics and Fourier Transform.